Many people have complained about the current council cabinet system. It makes all the decisions with many councillors and residents ignored. This is why we would scrap it.
We want a local council that can interact with the public and make completely transparent decisions.
Herefordshire has many local communities across its market towns and villages. These all have their own issues and local needs. This is why we want to make sure Parish councils have more say in local decisions.
A Liberal Democrat led council will:
- Abolish the ‘Cabinet’ system which is so undemocratic and costly. We will replace it with committees that have representation from all groups elected onto the Council and include a way for all elected Councillors to speak up for their communities.
- Make sure the CCTVs remain funded throughout the county. We will also work with local police forces to address residents’ concerns across the county.
- Fund local bus firms to reinstate some services that are no longer running.
- Give younger people more of a voice by creating a County Youth Council that can interact with the public and will give them more of an idea how local government works.
- Implement the Community Infrastructure Levy. This will mean more money for local projects.
- Support the towns and parishes to keep assets under their control and open for local people.
- Fight to make sure the community hospitals across the county keep their doors open and beds remain.
- Support local litter picks and community projects which improve the local area.